Salt & Light Workshop May 7-8, Knoxville, TN
Seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare. (Jeremiah 29:7)
God’s heart for our cities compels us to share the love of Christ “with actions and in truth” (1 John 3:18). A Salt & Light project can serve as a catalyst to mobilize the body of Christ in a city for informed, faithful action. You are invited to a two-day interactive workshop to learn how to initiate a Salt & Light project in your own city.
In Knoxville, TN, the Salt & Light project has been planting seeds of change. Christians are moving from the pews into their community. Churches are discovering their city as their mission field, learning to grieve over the needs, appreciate the strengths and envision the harvest. Nonprofits are coming together to replace isolation and competition with communication and collaboration. City and ministry leaders are working together to develop a deeper understanding of the city’s challenges and to build a shared, strategic vision.
Our Salt & Light leadership team wants to share with other cities from what we have been learning in the process of developing the project in Knoxville. Moreover, we want to gain new partners and new insights and realize we have much to learn from you. Come to Knoxville May 7-8 for an interactive workshop on the basic framework for Salt & Light, and go home with a plan for adapting Salt & Light for your context—as well as relationships with other city-reaching leaders who share your passion.
Workshop Learning Goals: Topics will include:
· The core purpose, theological framework and guiding principles driving Salt & Light.
· Overview of the key products: Guidebook, website, and follow-up tools.
· A step-by-step plan for developing a Salt & Light project.
· Research methods for learning about your city.
· Guidelines for networking, collaboration and team-building to maximize impact.
· Developing a broad base of input and ownership of Salt & Light resources.
· Building racial reconciliation and multicultural bridge-building into the project.
· Mobilizing churches to act on the ministry opportunities presented by Salt & Light.
· Follow-up steps to sustain relationships and long-term momentum.
· Logistical and administrative considerations, including funding.
· How to adapt Salt & Light to your unique city context. Participants will leave with:
· A plan for developing your Salt & Light project.
· A set of tools for networking, research, writing, and mobilizing.
· A detailed outline for researching your city.
· Stronger relationships within your project team (we encourage you to come with a team!).
· A network of other city leaders for mutual learning and support. ·
Renewed energy for reaching your city with the love of Christ. Join us for this unique and powerful learning opportunity! Cost – $50 per participant plus your travel and lodging expenses Schedule – Conference begins at 9am on May 7 and is over at 3pm on May 8 Location – First Baptist Concord, Knoxville TN REGISTER and learn about lodging recommendations by contacting Suzi Sullivan (firstname.lastname@example.org).