You don’t have to travel far or spend lots of money in order to go on a mission trip. You can have a mission trip without leaving home. A mission trip in your own backyard.
Acts 1:8: “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”(NIV)
You need to get involved in your own community. Acts 6:1-4 – “In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Grecian Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food. So the Twelve gathered all the disciples together and said, “It would not be right for us to neglect the ministry of the word of God in order to wait on tables. Brothers, choose seven men from among you who are known to be full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will turn this responsibility over to them and will give our attention to prayer and the ministry of the word.”
How To Identify the Needs, Resources and To Mobilize the Community
- Churches – congregation, on-going outreaches
- Government – because we serve the greater good of the community, proclamations were issued by local government, they helped us in the identification of needs
- Education – great source of volunteers, we served them first (IPS received 1000 packages of toiletries)
- Businesses – offer them opportunities for their employees
- Individuals – who have the heart to serve
Acts 2:46-47 “Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.”(NIV)
Transformation By Working Together
Transformation happens through transformed hearts. Get involved in the community through hands-on activities and make a difference in your neighborhood. Groups of people my come from the general public, from different social status, from personal contacts, from small groups within churches.
Life Is A Journey and People Want Adventure
Walking with Jesus is always an adventure. He is spontaneous because He lives in the present and through the guidance of the Holy Spirit.
Luke 7:11-15 “Soon afterward, Jesus went to a town called Nain, and his disciples and a large crowd went along with him. As he approached the town gate, a dead person was being carried out—the only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a large crowd from the town was with her. When the Lord saw her, his heart went out to her and he said, “Don’t cry.” Then he went up and touched the coffin, and those carrying it stood still. He said, “Young man, I say to you, get up!” The dead man sat up and began to talk, and Jesus gave him back to his mother.”(NIV)
It’s A Means Not the End
Luke 10:25-28 “On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?” He answered: ” ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’” “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”(NIV)
Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
How Do You Get Started?
- Collaborations and networking
- Start with whom and what you know
- Social Media and Internet
- Community organizations ie. Churches, corporations, government, educational institutions, social groups
- Hook up with other organizations who have had done it before
- FHL could assist you
Start With Simple Projects and Services
- Neighborhood trash pick ups
- Visiting the Nursing Homes
- Practical things
Ask yourself, ‘If I had the chance of a lifetime, what would I do for God and for my neighborhood?” What is it that you’d always wanted to do? What’s keeping you from doing it?
Take the First Step
- Pray and hear the voice of God (If we fail to hear His voice, we cannot help but fail to respond to God’s desires)
- You do not have to cross the ocean or spend thousands of dollars.
Don’t over analyze and over-plan (Jesus did not over plan, most of the time, He’s spontaneous (Ex. The feeding of the 5000)
[Please visit our FHL Testimonies page to hear inspiring stories!]